Thursday, July 28, 2011

Family United!: East meets West~ Day 22

Family continues… Family United! ~Part 9

After letting go of my fantasy, I knew to strictly follow my itinerary of the trip as mapped out, content to be next to my husband for the duration of our long trip toward my Mom’s village for our wedding ceremony! 

I was able to look forward to living out my childhood dream of being that Asian bride, sharing my special day with my own Mom on the other side of the world. That  Eastern "village girl" has come home, bringing with me, my Western family.


We finally arrived toward the mountain side of Vietnam in DaLat City to our hotel by two o'clock in the morning. We had to desperately tried to catch up with our tight timeline to get here to prepare for our wedding. We had to wake up the hotel’s keeper to open the locked gate to enter our hotel in the darkness and stillness of the night. We all were exhausted!


We stayed at this charming hotel in DaLat City
DaLat is located in the beautiful mountain side of Vietnam, known for its cool weather with the high altitude of breathtaking views. Also, known for its romantic settings and where all lovers, come to wed. I knew my American family would love it here. It has always been my favorite city in Vietnam to visit within my many trips back home.


A beautiful landscape waits for my American family the next day in DaLat was worth getting here, exhausted, so late or better yet, so early? :)


Awaken, feeling the freshnessm crispness in the air, we can also sense the happiness in the air as we saw other weddings were in progress. It was another perfect day to take it all in, from its beautiful lush surroundings of tropical landscapes to the happy smiles of the friendly people on vacation. 


We, now would move toward my Mom’s tiny village on dirt roads as we all loaded back on the bus to head toward the last stretch of 30 miles into the countryside to my Mom’s home. 



My Western family was to meet my Eastern family, on this day before our wedding.

Arrived at my Mom's home.

The Swanson’s family had a good tour to see a typical family home & a small village in Long Doung, Vietnam, that most American tourists rarely get to experience.

Wedding chairs & tents were being set up for the main event.
My two worlds came together on this day, January 3, 2004 to meet & greet...





Long waited reunion for Hiep & his lost & found family

I met up with my sister & my Mom.


We continued to tour their home, their gardens, their livelihood of raising pigs & chickens in the back of the house. 

Hello, Mama Pig!



And these piggies will go to the market....

After the happy reunion & a family home tour, the newlyweds were honored with a big family feast!

East and West United!
We gathered in the living room to celebrate with a wonderful "welcome to the family" meal & plenty of good cheers. 


Eating together at my Mom's home.
 Soon, the whole Swanson's gang departed from my Mom's home, also the soon- to-be-wedding site. My James with his children were to stayed at the hotel until we would meet again on our wedding day.



Family Cheers!

James and I were separated for the first time, as it is in tradition, for both cultures, that the bride & groom are to be apart before the wedding day!

I waved good-bye to my American family with a prayer of gratitude for that "East meets West" dream, to be united on that special day, personally for me but I can only hope it was special for everyone as well :).

Alone, I was here; waiting to fulfill my East & West family's wedding dream, still yet to be unfolded while I sat there in my Mom's home, exhausted with all my mixed emotions...

See you tomrrow at the wedding… Part 10 continues :)

With Love & Light,

Hai

No comments:

Post a Comment