Saturday, July 23, 2011

Family - (Jerry turned 16) ~Day 17

Our first family trip was unusual for any family to say the least! I had no idea what to expect but I was hoping by the end of the trip there would be a strong bond among us all.
A very reasonable wish, I would say so.

James had shared his own divorce scenario with me and I took it all in as background information which was very helpful.   However, to get to know each one of his children during this trip was a story soon to unfold on the other side of the world.

An unforgettable and fond memory for me will always be celebrating our Jerry’s 16th birthday in the air as we crossed over the time zone on December 29, 2004. We were all in our seats on this long 15 hour flight, singing “Happy Birthday” with a muffin (we even light a candle to put on top of his muffin) for our Jerry!  Unfortunately, when you cross the international date line, you loose a day, so we left LA on December 28th and landed 15 hours later on December 30th!  With the date change, Jerry’s entire birthday was celebrated on that long airplane ride!!

I couldn’t wait to share his special 16th birthday gift we had prearranged with my family when we arrived at the small quaint village where our wedding was to be celebrated!

We all know how important it is in America to be able to drive legally at the age of 16!  However, turning 16 in Vietnam creates a different kind of driving experience.   Regardless, I still wanted him to have that same “driving” privilege.    So, I prearranged with my family to set up 2 oxen and a cart especially for Jerry’s birthday so he could take that special “16 year old” drive!  When the cart pulled up we said to him, “Happy Birthday Jerry, and go as fast as you like!”  We wanted to make sure he got that “first time drive” speed out of his system.  

It was hilarious and the most joyful part of our special wedding day for all the kids.

Jerry's first ride! :)

Jerry, being the youngest child, has spent the most time with us the past 8 years, and we have developed a special bond.  Still today, I hold great affection and love for him as I’ve witnessed his growth into a loving young man. Jerry, of all the children, has bridged the gap for us both so beautifully into both worlds.



















With Love & Light,

Hai

No comments:

Post a Comment