Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Don't Do Laundry~ Day 85

"Where have you been, little lady?" asked, the Tattoo man in the laundry mat.

Today, I was doing my first BIG load of laundry in a public laundry mat ...BY MYSELF!!!! Woohoo!
Very intimidating to face these BIG machines by myself today!

Yes, I can say I’ve been around the world and back but I just never been to a laundry mat BEFORE I met my second husband, James.  
That sounds very odd to say it today!

I guess I've lived in a bubble all my life after I came to America. I am blessed to have a sheltered life in certain areas of my life.   

But, there are "NORMAL" things, I have not experienced before…like doing laundry in a public laundry mat. Yes, for real! 
So, this is how's done!
 As a child, folding clothes were my chores so I never really learned how to do laundry. I grew up with a full time adopted Mom at home before their divorce. As I went to college and on my own, I just sent my clothes to the dry cleaners to do my laundry for me, down to my undies.  

I didn't know anything different when I got married to my first husband. I sent all our clothes to the laundry and even, press and starched his jeans!  
Doesn’t everyone do that???  :) 
I was still in my bubble!

When I married James, a father of four and a typical all -American family man, he said he likes and he does all of his family's laundry. WHAT?!   
That was just down right weird to me. LOL ha-ha
My husband was prepared with plenty of coins in his laundry bag 
But, it's true! He said, he liked to help out his ex-wife with four kids on some of the family chores and he found that doing laundry was enjoyable for him and to relax, even theraputic from the stresses of his corporate job. 


So, James continues to do all our laundry at home or at the laundry mat whenever we travel. My husband is the head of our laundry department but today; he asked if I could do it. Yikes! 


I felt intimidated to do it without him and to go to a laundry mat,  by myself!!! Double Yikes!….
I found my corner table with a plug  for my laptop to do my blog while my laundry was being washed and dried! Not so bad! :)

The first time I ever stepped into a laundry mat was when we rented a RV to vacation along California's Hwy1 Coastline with Jerry & Lauren as a new family in 2004. It was then that we went to a laundry mat and I watched James, teaching Jerry how to do laundry. It was an endearing sight!  I was too busy with my 8 year old daughter to take part in it but I knew how important that lesson was for a 15 year old boy to learn from his father.

Ever since then, I never went into another laundry mat until this summer, living in an RV.  We have a washer & dryer in our RV but “it’s easier & faster to do them at the laundry mat,” my family's laundry expert claimed.

At least, I didn’t turn his whites into pink or got bleach marks on his work shirts, today! Whew! Woohoo!
 Of course, I couldn’t say NO to him but I was nervous with my new laundry challenge today. And I DON'T do laundry! 

With many phone calls to my husband's office and asking strangers in the laundry mat for few more tips, I accomplished my laundry task! :) Woohoo!

Meeting nice, friendly and very social laundry buddies.
I was nervous and intimidated to say the least, but now, I am very proud of my accomplishment, thank you! :)


Finished my laundry & my blog! LOL... ready to head home!

So proud that I accomplished our family laundry today, I texted my husband to say " I hope you don't mind wearing pink underwears and have a few white spots on your work shirts, honey." :) JK

Okay, so my husband is STILL the head of our laundry department but now, at least I can say I did it ONCE!! :)

With Love & Laundry,

Hai

2 comments:

  1. This is toooo funny! I went to the laundromat in Traverse City this summer to use the oversize washers for the bedspreads. I felt like I just came in from another planet.

    ReplyDelete