Saturday, July 16, 2011

Class Reunion~ Day 10

We got a call from James’ classmate  to let him know that their annual class reunion was going to be this weekend. Since, I just arrived from a long 11 hours trip to be together with him, he told his friend we probably wouldn’t make it.

Well, we are in the car to make that trip to surprise his buddies today! My husband is 18 years old again this morning! Excited, speeding and hyper to make a 6 hours trip to Gibson City, Illinois.  He even spiked up his hair! I love his forever-young energy! Yes! That’s whom I am married to.

His class reunion has set him back to his High School years and all the great memories he still holds.  He came from a small town and the closeness with his classmates is still forever strong today. Ever since we have been married, I became that part of his visits home and we always try to connect with his buddies, regardless of having a class reunion or not! I have gotten to know them and became a part of his group as well. They are SO NICE!

The contrasts of “his” and “my” high school memories are so far apart. We compare our memories often.

He was a popular guy! He was and still is a very well liked among his High School Classmates. They even voted for him as their class KING! Wooooo! He is forever known for his many leadership roles as President of the Student Counsel, Co-Captain of the Football Team but mostly the nicest popular, good-looking duke in school! I so can see all that and believe it ALL!  He hasn’t changed a bit!

And then there was mine…
I was a shy, quite geek!  I was lost in the crowd. I wasn’t even in the radar anywhere! Ha-ha

As nice as he still is, he would always tell me, Had we grown up in the same town, that “ I would have noticed you and would be crazy about you! “ Awwww….  Only if he didn’t graduate from High School when I was 3 years old! LOL ha-ha

It is so interesting to me how we all still can remember and define ourselves as what we thought we were in those years! Some were wonderful memories and others were just plain painful memories going through our adolescence years!

I find that some people are stuck in those years as their “Glory Days”. And then, there are those who grew up to became MORE of who they were in those high school years as well!

I also observe with girls and guys that were popular, they still hang on to those years even longer!  I find that’s funny!
You are so much more than those years but yet we all carry a big part of those years with us in our adult lives.
What’s up with that?

I guess that’s because people are forever young! And when they go back to their High School Class Reunion, they automatically revert back to their glory days of youth!

For those who had the “best years in High School” enjoy talking and remembering those wonderful days.

For those who didn’t have such great memories, they don’t enjoy looking back or don’t have the good times to talk to anyone at class reunion.

I can emotional & intellectually see the purpose of High School Reunions. It’s great to relate to a group of people that came from the same era of growing up with you, liking to same music, events and styles, You enjoyed and compete in the same sports, clubs, school activities, even remember the same teachers that influenced you the most.

More importantly, I hope Class Reunions are there to enrich our adult lives to make new friends that you didn't relate or got to know in those High School years!  And it’s also fun to see how other people in your same class have changed in personalities and looks.

We might even like some of them even better, NOW, than when we were in High School! Hopefully, our maturity and scope of life has become wider to befriend those in High School that were not considered in your “cliques.” 

As my daughter is going through her high school years, I always remind her to be friends with all students, especially the geeks and the quite ones. One day, you may be working for them! :)

I also believe, the core of who you were then in High School, your personality don’t alter to the extreme that you tend to be drawn to the like- minded people as adults when you get there!

To me, the main purpose of any Class Reunion is to connect with each other and to make NEW memories!

And the beat goes on…. And on… and on…. and on …

With Love & Light,
Hai

No comments:

Post a Comment